For my new self directed project I am looking at surfaces in nature and in architecture. When I think of nature I think of trees, leaves, flowers, organic forms. I love the marks that nature creates, tree bark, the veins on unusual leaves, the shapes of shells. The reason I love all these things is because, they are created totally on their own, by the earth. Not necessarily by accident because all of these things serve a purpose. Take a fossil for example, the marks will have taken thousands and thousands of years to develop and to me, that fact alone is amazing.The same thing applies to why I am attracted to buildings. I absolutely love how a building looks when it is so old and derelict. The decaying of the stone and the brick create such fabulous marks and textures that I could stand and look at it for hours. Again it is the idea that this will have taken time to happen the same as a fossil takes time to develop. At one time the building will have been brand new, clean bricks and stones will have been used, but over time this disintegrates and becomes so different visually.
For my outcomes I am wanting to explore fabric manipulation, and mark making, using a range of techniques. I am going to explore stitch especially, fabric dying and manipulating fabrics to make them look totally different. As my final outcomes for this project I am wanting to create a range of wall hangings for use in interior decoration.
I started off my collecting imagery that I found inspiring and that I could begin to work from. These are a few pages from my sketchbook where I have begun to come up with ideas.
From my sketchbook and the images that I have collected I am going to work with samples and explore the different techniques. I will post again with my first set of samples.

2 comments:
This sounds like a great project. I can't wait to see the results. Thanks for signing up to follow my blog.
Great sketchbook & I enjoyed reading your blog.
All the best for finishing your degree.
Post a Comment